Broccoli and roasted red pepper bring updated flavors to a classic family recipe.
2 bunches broccoli, trimmed and cut up (about 8 cups)
12 dried lasagna noodles
1 15-ounce carton ricotta cheese
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 slightly beaten egg
2 tablespoons snipped fresh parsley
1 12-ounce jar roasted red sweet peppers, drained
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
1/4 teaspoon pepper
Nonstick cooking spray
2 cups shredded Montery Jack cheese (8 oz.)
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 425 degree F. Place a steamer basket in a 4-quart Dutch oven. Add water just below the bottom of the steamer basket; bring to boiling. Add broccoli. Cover and reduce heat. Steam for 4 to 5 minutes or until crisp-tender.
2. Meanwhile, cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain noodles; rinse with cold water. Drain well. In a small bowl stir together ricotta cheese, the 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, egg, and parsley; set aside.
3. In a blender container or food processor bowl, blend or puree the roasted red peppers until almost smooth; set aside. In a large skillet, melt butter. Stir in flour and garlic. Cook and stir 1 minute. Gradually add milk and pureed peppers. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt, basil, and pepper.
4. Lightly coat a 3-quart rectangular baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Spread 3/4 cup of the sauce in dish. Arrange 3 lasagna noodles over sauce. Carefully spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture over noodles. Top with 1/3 of the broccoli and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the Montery jack cheese. Repeat layers 2 more times beginning with sauce. Top with remaining noodles and sauce.
5. Bake, covered, 20 minutes. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup Monterey Jack cheese and the 3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese. Bake 10 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 10 minutes. Makes 10 main-dish servings.
Source: Better Homes & Gardens