2 sticks (1/2 pound) unsalted butter, softened
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup apricot jam, melted
3/4 cup walnuts, finely chopped
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Confectioners’ sugar for dusting
1. In a large bowl, cream the butter and cream cheese. Beat in the flour, sugar and salt until blended. Divide the dough into thirds. Wrap and refrigerate for 45 minutes.
2. On a floured surface, roll out a piece of dough to a 14 x 8-inch rectangle. Brush 1/3 cup of the jam on top. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup walnuts.
3. Mix the sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle a third on top of the walnuts. Roll up from a long side to form a log. Repeat to make 3 logs. Place the logs seam down on a cookie sheet. Refrigerate for 1/2 hour.
4. Preheat the oven to 350F. On a cutting board, cut each log into 1-inch pieces. Place the rugelach seam down on greased cookie sheets. Bake for 20–25 minutes, until golden. Transfer to racks to cool completely.
5. Spoon some confectioners’ sugar into a sieve and dust over the cooled rugelach. Makes 5 dozen.