Broccoli, Tofu, and Shiitake Mushroom Stir Fry with Garlic Sauce
3 lbs. Broccoli
1 lb. Tofu (firm)
1 Onion (large)
1 Garlic Bulb
1 cup Shiitake Mushrooms
1-1/2 tsp. Ginger (ground)
1 tsp. Mustard (dry, ground)
1 tsp. Oregano (dry)
1/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper (ground)
1/4 cup Soy Sauce
2-3 tbsp. Corn Starch
1/2 tsp. Smoked Sesame Oil
1. This recipe is best prepared in a wok, but can also be prepared on the stove top in a large frying pan or pot.
If you are using dried shiitake mushrooms, begin by soaking them in water.
It is also best to begin preparing the brown rice at this time. We suggest cooking 2 cups of brown rice in 4 cups of water (double our recipe).
2. Peel the onion, cut into one-half inch chunks and place in the wok. Peel and crush the garlic and add to the wok. Wash the broccoli and peel the tough outer skin of the stems. Cut the stems into one inch lengths, cut each piece in half and slice. Add the sliced broccoli stems to the wok. Separate the broccoli florets, cut as necessary into bite-size pieces and add to the wok.
3. Put the drained shiitake mushrooms in the wok. Add one-half cup of water. Add the ginger, mustard, cayenne pepper, and oregano. Begin stir-frying at 375 degrees F, thoroughly tossing (mixing) with two long handled spoons.
While the stir frying is in progress, cut the tofu into bite-size pieces, add to the wok, and continue stir frying.
4. Add the soy sauce and corn starch to 3/4 cup of water in a measuring cup and mix thoroughly until the starch is dispersed.
When the onions are translucent, add the soy sauce mixture and smoked sesame oil and continue stirring until all the liquid has thickened. If it is too thick, add a little additional water to the stir fry and continue mixing until the sauce is at the desired consistency.
5. Turn off the heat. The stir fry is ready to eat. The rice should also be ready or nearly ready, too. Serve over a bed of brown rice and enjoy.