Spinach, broccoli, and carrots fill this cheesy lasagna. This four-cheese, three-vegetable
lasagna can be prepared up to two days in advance.
8 ounces dried lasagna noodles (9 or 10 noodles)
2 beaten eggs
2 cups cream-style cottage cheese
1 15-ounce carton ricotta cheese
2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning, crushed
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup chopped onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons olive oil or cooking oil
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 to 1 teaspoon black pepper
1-1/4 cups milk
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and thoroughly drained
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and thoroughly drained
1 cup shredded carrot
3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese (3 ounces)
1 8-ounce package package shredded mozzarella cheese (2 cups)
1. Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain; set aside.
2. In a medium bowl combine eggs, cottage cheese, ricotta, and Italian seasoning. Set aside.
3. In a large skillet cook mushrooms, onion, and garlic in hot oil until tender. Stir in the flour and pepper; add milk all at once. Cook and stir until slightly thickened and bubbly. Remove from heat. Stir in the spinach, broccoli, carrot, and 1/2 cup of the Parmesan cheese.
4. To assemble, in a greased 3-quart rectangular baking dish, layer one-third of the noodles, folding or cutting to fit, if necessary. Spread with one-third of the cottage cheese mixture, then one-third of the vegetable mixture. Sprinkle with
one-third of the mozzarella. Repeat the layers 2 more times. Sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
5. Bake, uncovered, in a 350 degree F oven for 35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 12 servings.
No-Boil Lasagna: Substitute 6 ounces no-boil lasagna noodles (12) for the lasagna noodles. Increase milk to 2 cups and
spread 1/2 cup of the vegetable mixture in the bottom of the dish before adding the first layer of noodles. Continue as above.
To Make-Ahead: After assembling, cover the unbaked lasagna with foil and chill up to 48 hours.
Bake, covered, in a 350 degree F oven for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 30 to 35 minutes more or until heated through.
Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Source: Better Homes & Gardens