Sweet Potato Pie
1½ cup sweet potatoes/yams
1 cup white sugar
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup evaporated milk
1 stick butter
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon cloves (powdered)
½ teaspoon lemon juice (to preserve color)
¼ teaspoon ginger
1 -9 inch unbaked thawed pie shell
1. Preheat oven at 375 degrees
2. Boil sweet potatoes/yams with skin on until tender (until fork can be easily inserted).
3. Place in cool water and peel skin.
4. Beat potatoes with electric mixer using medium speed. Stop occasionally to remove strings that may appear for a smoother texture.
5. Add remaining ingredients and mix to a smooth consistency.
6. Pour filling mixture into pie shell.
7. Brush edges of crust with ice water to avoid burning before filling is done.
8. Bake for 45 - 50 minutes. Pie is done when inserted toothpick comes out clean.
9. Remove from oven and allow to set for 20 minutes then serve. Serves 4 - 6 servings